Birth of a Cheese: help us create a new American masterpiece
culture magazine and Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. need your help to create an entirely new world-class cheese.
Because this process demands the most dedicated wedge-heads, we're offering it only to our newsletter subscribers.
Edit: the panelists have been selected, and the cheese has been sent! Read their thoughts on this brand-new blue cheese masterpiece.
To qualify for more opportunities like this, sign up for our newsletter!
Bob Giacomini began his dairy farm in 1959, and founded Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese with his wife Dean, and their four daughters in 2000, making the only farmstead blue in all of California. In 2010, they introduced Toma, a classic Italian-style table cheese. Now, they are looking to develop their next masterpiece, and we are looking for a few lucky tasters to help shape this yet-unnamed, in-development cheese, and report back to us.
Maybe the Giacomini girls (Lynn and Jill) said it best:
- A fine palate & taste memory (of course)
- An open mind (no stinky cheese or blue haters)
- Strong writing skills (you'll need to articulate your opinions and keep organized notes)
- Kitchen skills (for cooking suggestions) or a knowledge of beer, wine and/or spirits (for pairing suggestions) are both helpful, but not required.
- Tasters will be expected to contribute notes or home videos for the website, so don't be shy!
- This opportunity is open to both amateur cheese lovers and food professionals (mongers, chefs and others).
The selected tasters will receive 2 or 3 packets of cheese in the mail, along with questionnaires and the aforementioned surprises.
This offer is only open to readers in the US. We will announce our choices in a few weeks.
Good luck, and happy tasting!