Attention Cheese Makers & Mongers: A Cheese Mold Workshop at Zingerman's!
Finally! What you’ve been waiting for: a 4 hour in depth workshop on cheese mold with very special guest, Dr. Benjamin Wolfe, a mycologist at Harvard University. (Dr. Wolfe has also been the primary person working with Jasper Hill.) At the end of this workshop, you’ll understand cheese mold in more depth than you ever thought possible!
Dr. Benjamin Wolfe will take you on a microscopic journey into the wild world of cheese rind microbes. During this interactive 4 hour workshop on the diversity and management of molds on cheese rinds you’ll explore the following:
1) demystifying cheese mold names/taxonomy,
2) natural history and identification of important cheese molds,
3) functions of cheese molds in flavor, aesthetics, and shelf life,
5) interactions between molds and other cheese microbes (yeasts and bacteria),
6) approaches to mold management in cheese ecosystems, and
7) finding and harnessing wild cheese molds for American microbial terroir.
Attendees are encouraged to bring along problematic or interesting rinds for Dr. Wolfe to examine. And, if you make cheese, bring it along as well!
$30/person, call 734-663-3400 to reserve a seat or online below!