Caramelized Shallots in Port Wine
Formerly the maitre d’fromage at Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago, Brandon Weeks manages the cheese cart at the Urban Farmer restaurant in Portland, Oregon.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or olive oil
- 1½ cups finely minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Port wine
- Heat bacon fat or oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, salt, and pepper; cook until shallots are very tender and caramelized. Add the Port wine, reduce heat to low, and cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated to create a viscous syrup around the shallot pieces. Cool the mixture and store refrigerated up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature.
- Beaufort d’Alpage, Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, Monte Enebro, Roomano, Stilton.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/