Cheese Soup with Roasted Nuts
For this rich soup, chef Stefan Karlsson uses aged Swedish cheddar, but you may substitute another full-flavored cheese, such as Emmental or Gruyère.
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 shallot
- ¼ small fennel bulb
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1¾ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1¾ cups shredded Swedish cheddar
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- ½ cup salted mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- Hazelnut or walnut oil
- Finely chop celery, shallot, fennel, and garlic. Melt butter in a large saucepanpan. Add vegetables, and sauté until just tender.
- Add wine, vegetable bouillon, heavy cream, and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add cheese, and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, if needed, puree soup in a blender until smooth. (Be careful of steam!) Return soup to saucepan, and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into four serving bowls. Garnish with chopped nuts, a drizzle of hazelnut oil, and a dusting of paprika.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/