Croque Madame Panini with Grand Cru Gruyere
Recipe courtesy of Chef/Co-owner Jason W. Knutson, 5 O’Clock Club, Pewaukee, WI.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups hot milk
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces Grand Cru Gruyere, shredded
- 8 thick slices of rustic bread
- 8 ounces baked ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Grand Cru Gruyere, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Mornay sauce, warmed
- MORNAY SAUCE: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (do not allow the mixture to brown).
- Remove saucepan from heat, add hot milk, and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Whisk in nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper, add bay leaf, and return saucepan to stove. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and stir in Grand Cru Gruyere. Whisk sauce until cheese is fully melted.
- PANINI: Layer ham on four slices of bread; top with Grand Cru Gruyere and remaining bread slices.
- Spread butter on the outside of each sandwich and grill on a Panini press or griddle until bread is lightly browned and cheese is fully melted.
- While the sandwiches are cooking, heat remaining butter in a skillet and fry eggs until “over medium.”
- Preheat broiler.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and ⅓ cup Mornay sauce.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/
Photo Credit: mikeyarmish via Compfight cc