Fruit Compote Tartlets
Lightened with yogurt, mascarpone becomes the filling joining a cookie-like crust and spiced winter fruit topping. Make the fruit mixture several hours or a day ahead to allow its flavor to develop.
Write a review
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting surfaces
- 2 cups Riesling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick
- 18 dried apricots, halved
- 12 dried dates, halved
- ⅓ cup dried sweet cherries
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone
- 1 (6-ounce) container nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- THE PASTRY: Heat the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the butter, sugars, lemon zest, and salt until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and baking powder; beat until well combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low, and add the flour, beating until a dough forms. Wrap and refrigerate dough 1 hour or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Place the dough on a well-floured clean surface, and roll out to a scant ¼-inch thickness. Cut out three 5-inch circles, and place them in 4-inch tart or mini pie pans. Repeat with the remaining dough to make six tarts.
- Fill the tarts with pastry weights, and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven, removing the pie weights after 12 minutes. Continue baking until lightly golden, about 8 minutes more. Transfer the tarts in their pans to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- THE FRUIT COMPOTE: Combine the wine, sugar, anise, cloves, and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add the dried fruits. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the fruit is tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid and setting the fruit
- aside. Return the liquid to the saucepan and heat to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until the mixture is thickened to a syrup and reduced to 1 cup—about 12 minutes. Discard the spices in fruit mixture.
- Blend the mascarpone and yogurt in a medium bowl.
- To assemble the tarts: Place about ¼ cup of the mascarpone mixture in each pastry shell. Top with the fruit mixture, and drizzle with the compote syrup.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/