Grilled BLT with Cheese
There’s no reason that grilled cheeses have to be reserved for lunch or dinner. With the addition of bacon or a fried egg, this classic melty sandwich makes a fantastic breakfast that will keep you going strong all morning long.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices thick-cut smoked bacon
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 4 slices egg bread
- 2 thick slices ripe tomato
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. While the butter is warming, fry the bacon over medium heat until crispy but not burned. Set the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the grease.
- Grate the cheddar cheese. You should end up with about half a cup. Spread a quarter of the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Pile one half of the grated cheese equally on the unbuttered side of two of the bread slices. Place a slice of tomato on top of each pile of cheese. Cut the bacon slices in half and layer 4 halves onto each tomato slice. Top with the remaining grated cheese and the final slices of buttered bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes. When the skillet is warm, place on of the sandwiches in it. Cover with lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
- Flip the sandwich to other side and cook, uncovered for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and cheese has melted. Remove the sandwich from the pan and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes while you repeat the process with the second sandwich.
- Cut each sandwich in half and enjoy.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/