Kale Crepes with Cheddar & Salsa
These vibrant, veggie-fortified crepes are folded around a classic quesadilla-like filling, but feel free to improvise with other mixtures. Cheddar and sautéed mushrooms are also a winning combo.
Write a review
- ½ cup chopped, cooked kale, well-drained
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely grated cheddar
- ½ cup salsa
- In a blender or food processor fitted with a chopping blade, combine kale, milk, and water; blend until pureed. Add eggs, dill, and salt; briefly mix until blended. Add flour, and pulse just until mixture is smooth. Cover, and refrigerate the crepe batter for 2 hours or overnight.
- In a 6-inch skillet, add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom; heat over medium heat. Pour ¼ cup of crepe batter into skillet, and quickly spread with the bottom of the measuring cup or a spatula to make a thin 6-inch crepe. Cook about 2 minutes or until the top of the crepe begins to set and dry.
- Flip over with a spatula, and promptly sprinkle the cooked side with ¼ cup of cheddar and a tablespoon of salsa. Cook 1 minute longer. Fold crepe in half over the filling, then in half again to make a triangle. Remove from skillet, and repeat with remaining batter and filling ingredients, adding oil as needed to the skillet. (Alternately, crepes can be made ahead, covered, and kept at room temperature for several hours; stack each between waxed paper so they don’t stick. To serve, fill and fold each crepe, then microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to warm and melt cheese.)
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/