Point Reyes Blue Cheese Crostini with Apple-Onion Chutney
Warm or cold, this easy (and do-ahead) recipe is perfect for entertaining—as a passed hors d'oeuvre, a rustic first course, or alongside a roasted beet salad to complete a delicious and hearty dinner.
- 1 fresh baguette, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple—peeled, cored, and diced into ½-inch cubes
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-ounce wedge Point Reyes Original Blue
- Heat oven to 375°F. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy skillet. Add onions and apples, sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar. Reduce heat and sauté until golden brown. Add vinegar and simmer until the liquid has been completely absorbed. Season with salt and pepper and cool completely.
- To serve, spread chutney on toasted crostini and top with crumbles of Original Blue.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/