Raspberry Mascarpone Jelly Roll
When you want a little elegance to end the meal, try this classic golden jellyroll cake filled with a lovely pink spiral of fruit-sweetened mascarpone.
Write a review
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour (not self-rising)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- 2 pints raspberries
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone
- ⅓ cup reduced-sugar raspberry preserves
- JELLY ROLL: Heat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 15½ x 101/2 x 3/4-inch jellyroll pan with nonstick spray. Line with wax or parchment paper. Coat the paper with nonstick spray; dust with 1 tablespoon cake flour. In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ½ cup cake flour and baking powder.
- Separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in a large bowl and the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Beat the egg whites with a mixer on medium-high until soft peaks start to form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup granulated sugar. At high speed continue beating the whites until billowy, just-stiff peaks form.
- Beat the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar in the medium bowl with the egg yolks with the mixer on medium-high (no need to clean the beaters), until light in color. Add the vanilla. Reduce the speed to low, and beat in the flour mixture just to combine. Fold the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture. Spread in the prepared pan, and bake for 10 to 11 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed. Let cool on a rack 5 minutes.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with confectioners’ sugar. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan; invert the cake onto a dusted towel. Remove the pan; peel off the paper. Starting at a short end, roll up the cake in the towel; place the roll seam-side down on the rack, and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- FILLING: Place 1 pint raspberries in a food processor, fitted with a blade, and puree. Transfer the mixture to a strainer, and gently push the puree through into a medium bowl. Discard the seeds. Add the mascarpone to the puree, and gently mix to combine.
- ASSEMBLE: Unroll the cooled jelly roll, and spread the mascarpone mixture on top, leaving a ½ -inch border of cake along the edges. Spread the preserves on top of the mascarpone. Starting at a short side of the jelly roll, roll up the cake tightly. Wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Cut into slices, and serve with the remaining raspberries.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/