Strawberry Shortcake with Mascarpone
This recipe from Family Aprons is inspired by the beautiful spring sunshine and the leftover mascarpone cheese from a recent Tasting Tuesday featuring Crave Brothers Cheese.
Write a review
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
- 2 eggs, divided
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon cream
- 12 oz mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup cream
- 4 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 cups strawberries, mashed and sweetened if you prefer
- SHORTCAKE: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat one egg and combine with the cream. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until things start to stick together. Dump onto a floured work surface and knead gently until everything comes together.
- Shape dough into a rectangle about ¾-inch thick. Beat remaining egg and brush on top of the dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the egg wash.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until there is a nice golden color around the edges. Cool.
- MASCARPONE CREAM: Combine mascarpone, cream, and confectioner's sugar. Beat 1-2 minutes, until mixture is sturdy but not dry. Keep chilled.
- Cut a square of shortcake and cut in half. Top with mascarpone cream and strawberries. There are many ways to serve this--open faced, all on top, sandwich. Make your favorite and enjoy
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/
Photo Credit: Featured image provided by Shutterstock.com