Happy New Year’s Eve Eve, everyone! It’s time to pull out the sequinned outfits and crazy hats you wouldn’t be caught dead in the rest of the year. As 2019 swiftly approaches, keep an eye out for “Wheyward Spirit.” A University of Oregon grad found a way to turn billions of pounds of whey into a liquor comparable to vodka. We can’t even begin to imagine the pairing possibilities. Until then, let’s catch up on other news.
Here’s what you might have missed this week:
- Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms gained instant notoriety after her picture of mac and cheese sparked a raging Twitter debate. Her crime? Dry noodles.
- Unless you’re one of the two people in the world who doesn’t like British cooking shows, you’ll probably enjoy this festive cake containing three cheeses and an entire bottle of mulled wine.
- A woman-run village in Turkey makes a cheese that tastes identical to the Swiss Emmentaler. Click here for an interview with the mastermind behind their unexpected success.
- Planning meals for large groups can be intimidating. When you can’t stand another taco night, why not try a loaded potato soup bar?
- Cheese connoisseurs love to throw around tasting notes: sharp, creamy, nutty. But what happens when the flavors are “Bloody Mary” or “Blueberry Cobbler”? These Wisconsin cheesemakers are pushing the boundaries of how we taste cheese.
- If you find yourself in Argentina to see one of the world’s greatest waterfalls, don’t forget to indulge in another sensory wonder: chipas. If you ask us, these cheesy bread balls might be worth the trip themselves.
- UK-Italian food chain Zizzi has steadily added vegan options to its menu. Their Caramelized Biscuit Cheesecake definitely has our attention.