Butternut Squash Soup with Point Reyes Original Blue Croutons
This soup is perfect for fall entertaining, capturing the delicious flavors of the season. With a crunchy and cheesy Original Blue crouton contrasting the silky, creamy soup, the effect is comfort food at its best. This recipe makes a great hor d'oeuvre in a small mason jar or as a vegetarian-friendly first course. We recommend the perfect pairing sparkling wine, such as Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 butternut squash (approximately 3 pounds), peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces ciabatta bread, crust removed and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces Point Reyes Original Blue, crumbled
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and a pinch of salt, cooking onion until soft, about 10 minutes. Add butternut squash and broth. Cook 15-20 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, make the croutons: Toss cubed bread with olive oil in a medium bowl. Add pepper and Original Blue, stirring to coat bread evenly. Place bread on baking sheet and sprinkle with any cheese remaining in your bowl. Bake croutons until browned, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Puree soup with immersion blender or in a standing blender until smooth. Return soup to pot, stir in thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot in bowls with a few croutons on top.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/