Cheesy Parrano® Winter Risotto
Risotto is the ultimate cold-weather comfort food. Serve this creamy, delicious meal-in-a-bowl with a soft red wine for any occasion—dinner parties, holiday events, or a cozy date night.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3½ ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white parts only, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- 5 cups warm chicken stock
- 2 cups Parrano® cheese, grated
- 12 ounces asparagus, cut in 1½-inch pieces and blanched
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Add olive oil, mushrooms, salt, and pepper to a large, heavy-bottom pan over medium-high heat. Sauté until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add butter and a drizzle of olive oil to the same pan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook 3 minutes. Add arborio rice and sauté 1 minute to toast the rice.
- Add wine and stir to combine. When wine is almost completely reduced, add a few ladles of warm chicken stock and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Once the rice has absorbed most of the stock, add another ladle of stock and stir. Repeat the process, stirring frequently, until risotto becomes tender and creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Once risotto is finished, turn off heat and add Parrano® cheese. Stir until well combined, then add asparagus, cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, parsley, and thyme. Stir and serve.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/