Coach Farm® Savory Baked Apples
This warm and cozy fall appetizer highlights the season’s best flavors—Coach Farm® goat cheese intensifies the creaminess the rice mixture and sweetness of the fruit. These savory baked apples are certain to be a family favorite!
- ⅔ cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup uncooked brown rice
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1½ tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 4-ounce link sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ⅓ cup finely chopped carrot
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- ½ cup Coach Farm® goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil, then stir in rice. Cover saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 50 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the dried cranberries and apple cider. Microwave for 1 minute on high and let stand for 10 minutes. Add cranberry mixture to rice.
- Remove center of apples with a spoon, leaving a ½-inch-thick shell, and chop the flesh. Brush the inside of the apples with 1 tablespoon of butter. Place the apples on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring into pieces. Once this happens, remove from pan and drain. Remove excess sausage and melt remaining butter in pan. Add chopped apples, yellow onion, carrots, cinnamon, and red pepper, sautéing for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Mix regularly. Add sausage, rice mixture, walnuts, green onions, salt, and sage to rice and toss. Distribute the rice mixture evenly among apples and top with Coach Farm® goat cheese.
- Broil completed apples for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/