Meyer Lemon Cheesecake with Crystallized Lemon Peel
Celebrate citrus season with a creamy Meyer lemon cheesecake in a classic graham cracker crust. Orange Muscat wine adds sweetness, while a topping of crystallized lemon peels makes full use of the ripe fruit.
- FOR CHEESECAKE:
- 8 ounces graham crackers
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Peju Liana Late Harvest Orange Muscat Wine
- ¼ teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- FOR CRYSTALLIZED LEMON PEEL:
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 8 cups cold water, or as needed
- 2 cups white sugar, or as needed
- ½ cup Peju Liana Late Harvest Orange Muscat
- TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Grind the graham crackers in a food processor. Remove and place in a medium-sized bowl. In a small sauté pot, melt the butter at a low heat. Mix the ground graham crackers with the butter and place on the base of a 12-inch removable bottom baking pan. Bake crust for 5 minutes at 350°F.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer, excluding the graham cracker crust, and beat until batter is soft and fluffy.
- Pour cheesecake batter over the graham crust and bake for about 60 minutes at 350°F. To improve the cheesecake’s consistency, place a pan of water in the oven while baking the cheesecake. Remove to a rack and let cool for approximately 6 hours before cutting.
- TO MAKE CRYSTALLIZED LEMON PEEL:
- Cut lemon into slices about ¼-inch thick and remove the fruit pulp. Cut the rings in half so the peels is in long strips.
- Bring 2 cups water and lemon peel to a boil in a small pan. Drain water and repeat with 2 cups fresh cold water. Repeat the boiling step three times. Drain and set peels aside.
- Combine 1 cup water with 2 cups sugar and whisk together until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon peels and Late Harvest Orange Muscat wine and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the white pith is translucent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain peels and allow them to dry on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Toss dry candied peels in sugar and place on top of cheesecake.
- Pair cheesecake with Peju’s Liana Late Harvest Orange Muscat.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/