Panzanella Salad with Haystack Applewood Smoked Chèvre
Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy is celebrating the season by bringing you a Mediterranean-inspired salad that’s heavy on fresh veggies, toasty bread, smoked chèvre, and aromatic flavors. This crunchy salad is the perfect addition to an evening meal. Want to make it the star of the show? Add grilled chicken or salmon for a light, tasty meal.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ large loaf crusty bread, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 4 ounces Haystack Applewood Smoked Chèvre, crumbled
- For the Bread:
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the bread cubes and the smashed garlic cloves. Keep an eye on the bread as it begins to brown, turning the cubes as necessary until they’re evenly golden brown. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack; discard the garlic cloves.
- For the Dressing:
- In a separate bowl (or in a jar with a tight-fitting lid), combine the dressing ingredients, whisking or shaking vigorously to combine.
- For the Salad:
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, olives, basil, and capers in a large mixing bowl. Toss with the dressing. Just before serving the salad, toss in the fried bread. Top with Haystack Applewood Smoked Chèvre and serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/