Parmigiano Reggiano Broth
It's officially soup season! This savory broth is the perfect base for vegetarian soups and stews and the ideal way to use up your Parmigiano Reggiano rinds. Store pieces of leftover Parmigiano Reggiano rind in a plastic bag in your freezer until you are ready to use them.
- Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 fennel bulb (chopped)*
- 1 Parmigiano Reggiano rind
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (whole, black or white)
- ½ parsley bunch, stems and leaves
- ►Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, garlic, and fennel. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown (HINT: the more caramelized the vegetables, the deeper the flavor of the broth).
- ►Add 2 quarts of water and remaining ingredients. Allow to simmer for at least an hour and then strain. Dice up the gooey rind and drop it in soup for little bites of yum.
- *a leek can be substituted.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/