Pasta with Ratatouille and Chèvre
Enjoy the peak of summer harvest with this all-encompassing ratatouille dish that features eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and squash—fresh from the market—over pasta. Top it off with fresh Haystack Goat Cheese chèvre and a touch of basil. This recipe is part of a new once-a-month program called Grown to Go, a local meal kit at Union Station Farmers Market in Denver. Move over Blue Apron, the farmers market has meal prep on lockdown—and, an added bonus, it's all local.
- GREEN TOMATO PICKLE
- 1 green tomato
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 eggplant
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato
- ½ cup pickled green tomato
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 4 oz chèvre
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- GREEN TOMATO PICKLE: Mix vinegar, sugar, salt, and water in a small bowl. Dice green tomato in large chunks and add to pickling liquid. Let pickle overnight.
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Cut eggplant into ½-inch cubes. Place in large bowl, cover with cold water, and add lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, toss squash with a splash of oil and salt. Roast for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Drain the eggplant and pat dry with paper towels
- In an extra large saute pan over high, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When very hot, brown the eggplant in batches being careful not to crowd the pan. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggplant to a plate lined with paper towels. Discard the oil.
- Add remaining oil to the pan, and when very hot add the bell pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until tender. Then add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add reserved eggplant and squash, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Cut tomato in half and grate it with a box grater into a bowl. Discard skins. Pour grated tomatoes into vegetable stew, and simmer 5 minutes or until starting to thicken.
- Add in green tomato pickles, and turn off the heat.
- Boil rigatoni. When cooked through, drain pasta, reserving ¼ cup of pasta water. Toss pasta with ratatouille and reserved water, and let simmer one minute. Add in torn basil. Serve immediately topped with chèvre and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
Photo Credit: Paula Gonzalez-Thomas