Grana Padano and Zucchini Flan with Shrimp
This light and savory flan is perfect for a cool late-fall dinner. Earthy zucchini mixed with briny capers and rich Grana Padano makes a lovely companion to the sautéed shrimp and salty olive vinaigrette. It's simple enough for a weeknight dinner but also special enough to serve to friends and loved ones.
- ZUCCHINI FLAN:
- 4 zucchini (green and yellow)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup dried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup capers
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated Grana Padano
- 1 ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 cloves of garlic, lightly crushed
- Butter, for greasing
- Salt and pepper
- OLIVE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 red pepper
- 2 red onions
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon black olives
- ¾ cup green olives
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 8-12 big, fresh shrimp
- Olive oil and thyme, to taste
- Lemon juice, optional
- Zucchini Flan:
- Dice the zucchini and the onions finely. Add the coarsely chopped capers and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Saute everything in olive oil for a few moments with garlic.
- Remove the garlic and put the vegetables in a buttered pyrex dish.
- Stir the egg yolks, crème fraiche, and saffron together with the grated Grana Padano and top the vegetables with this mixture.
- Bake at 350° F for about 30 minutes, until golden.
- Whisk together the mustard, honey, balsamic, olive oil, finely chopped peppers, and onions. Add the chopped olives and mix.
- When everything is ready, fry the shrimp in olive oil and thyme on both sides. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and a little squeeze of lemon juice if wanted.
- To serve:
- Top zucchini flan with shrimp and add vinaigrette on the side.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/