Uniekaas Reserve® and Butternut Squash Stuffing
While a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving table, this stuffing recipe is great for both fall and winter. Serve with roasted pork for a cold winter night's treat.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 3½-4 cups chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups day old loaf of sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 cup Uniekaas Reserve® shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place butternut squash on sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until slightly soft, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion. Cook, stirring until onion has softened slightly and is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have softened. Stir in garlic, sage, rosemary and thyme. Cook another 30 seconds and then add balsamic vinegar, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, add butter and roasted butternut squash. Set aside to cool.
- In a very large mixing bowl, whisk together chicken broth and eggs. Add the bread and Uniekaas Reserve® cheese and gently toss to coat. Add butternut squash/mushroom mixture to the pan. Gently toss to combine with the bread cubes. If mixture is dry, add another splash of chicken broth. Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes until the stuffing is slightly brown on top. Serve warm and enjoy!
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/