Fig, Parmesan, and Prosciutto Flatbread
Homemade crust makes any pizza or flatbread feel a little fancier—but it's easy to make. These flatbreads are topped with a sophisticated mix of cheese, prosciutto, and arugula, plus fig jam for a hint of sweetness. Paired with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc, like the one from Peju Province Winery, it's just right for a light meal or appetizer.
- FOR PIZZA CRUST:
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups Caputo or all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for bowl
- FOR TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 tablespoons fig jam
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 6 ounces prosciutto, sliced thin
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and rinsed
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place ¾ cup warm (not lukewarm) water into a bowl, then sprinkle in yeast and set aside.
- In a stand mixer add the flour and salt and blend on low speed using the paddle attachment. Drizzle in the olive oil and continue mixing until incorporated. Next, pour in the yeast/water mixture and blend until just combined.
- Lightly coat a separate mixing bowl with olive oil, drop the dough in, and form into a ball. Toss to coat the dough ball in the olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise for a minimum of one hour, or up to 3 or 4 days.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until roughly 17 by 10 inches (dough should be thin). Place on a large baking sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil and salt. Spread the fig jam onto the pizza crust, then cover with the slices of mozzarella. Top lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately place the prosciutto slices over the hot pizza. Sprinkle generously with the arugula and parmesan shavings. Cut into wedges or squares and serve hot.
- Pair with Peju Province Winery’s Sauvignon Blanc.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/