Tropical Caprese with Fried Plantains and Buf Mozzarella
For a twist on the classic Italian Caprese salad, add some tropical Colombian flavor by layering a crispy plantain with tomato and creamy Buf mozzarella. It’s the perfect combination. ¡Buen provecho!
- 2 large green plantains
- 1 container Buf Mozzarella Ovoline, sliced into rounds
- Fresh tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds about 1" in diameter
- Neutral oil for frying
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 bunch basil for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- FOR FRIED PLANTAINS: Peel plantains and cut crosswise in 1” slices. In heavy pot, add enough oil of choice to cover the plantain slices and heat oil over medium high heat. Add the slices to the heated oil in single layer. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Carefully remove from oil with slotted spoon to a paper towel lined-plate to absorb oil.
- Once cooled, place plantains on piece of plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Flatten slices to about ¼”-thick using a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Dip each in lightly-salted warm water. Using tongs, add each flattened plaintain back to the hot oil in a single layer. You may need to work in batches. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until crispy. Remove and blot again using new paper towel.
- TO SERVE: On a serving plate, layer plantain on bottom with a fresh tomato slice and a slice of creamy Buf mozzarella. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
This recipe is sponsored by Buf Creamery.