Parrano Cranberry Turnovers
Share in the festivities of the season with this Parrano® and cranberry appetizer. These flaky pockets of phyllo dough filled with cheese and cranberries will make an irresistible start to any meal. From holiday parties to New Year’s Eve, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- FOR TURNOVERS:
- 2 cups Parrano® cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup homemade cranberry sauce (recipe below)
- 16 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- ½ stick of butter, melted
- FOR CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- ¼ bag fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Mix together Parrano® cheese, cream cheese and homemade cranberry sauce until well blended.
- Unroll phyllo dough and cover with plastic wrap and a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Working one phyllo sheet at a time, place sheet on cutting board and gently brush with butter. Layer on another piece of phyllo dough and repeat with 2 more sheets. Do not add butter to the top sheet. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the sheets into 4 equal squares.
- In the middle of each square, place a heaping teaspoon of cheese mixture. Brush butter on corners of each square. Fold one corner of phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Press edges to seal. Repeat process with remaining dough and cheese.
- Gently brush outside of triangle with butter and place on baking sheet at least 1” apart. Reroll unused sheets and store for future use following instructions on package.
- Bake turnovers for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- Add all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries burst, about 15-20 minutes.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/