Valley Fig Growers Mediterranean Fig & Feta Pizza
The convenience of using refrigerated pizza dough—along with a variety of fresh veggies, two kinds of cheese, lots of herbs, and high-fiber, dark purple California Mission Figs from Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid—makes this vegetarian pizza a real crowd pleaser. It’s a healthy nod to the new year and a great meal to get the family cooking together—slicing, chopping, grating, sizzling, and sprinkling to tasty perfection.
- 1 package (13.8 ounces) refrigerated dough for pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped or pressed garlic
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped seeded Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red, yellow, or green bell pepper
- 1 cup stemmed, sliced Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crumbled rosemary
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Unroll pizza dough onto large oiled baking sheet. Pat dough to 15-x-10-inch rectangle. Set aside.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat until sizzling. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini, and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute, until tomatoes start to break down. Add figs, herbs, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook and stir 1 minute or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on pizza dough. Spread fig mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle with feta cheese, onion, olives, and pine nuts.
- Bake at 400°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Cut pizza lengthwise into three even strips and crosswise 6 times to make 18 rectangles.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/