Here’s something to say cheers to: Today is International Beer Day. We can’t think of a better time to celebrate this holiday than on a weekend in the summertime with a wedge of good cheese close at hand. Whichever type of beer is your jam (pilsners, sours, IPAs) there’s a cheese pairing for that, and we’re here to be your guide. See which wedges we recommend pairing with a range of summertime brews here.
In other cheese news:
- The New York International Cheese Competition took place last month in Long Island City, hosted by CMI founder Adam Moskowitz and judged by a blind panel of trade professionals. See the full list of winners here.
- Victory Cheese, the grassroots project developed during the pandemic to support and promote American artisan cheese, is now officially part of the American Cheese Society. At the ACS’s 38th annual conference, the board unanimously voted to have Victory Cheese become the society’s consumer-facing brand for promoting and supporting specialty cheese from America. Here’s to choosing it over losing it.
- Looking to bring some spice to your life? Kerrygold’s new limited edition Irish Cheddar With Chili Peppers balances creaminess and heat with ease and is only available at Trader Joe’s for a short time. Add it to your next cheese board, melt it onto some fries, or fold it into mac and cheese before it’s gone.
- The Cheesemonger Invitational is finally back in person this year at the Brooklyn Expo Center in New York City, and tickets are on sale now! Attendees can expect to experience an “all-you-can-eat cornucopia of cheese” from some of the best makers from around the globe, and take part in the famous monger vs. monger competition. (Attendees must show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test to get in.) Get your tickets here.
- Whole Foods Market announced a recall due to a listeria risk on Cahill Cheddar Porter and Whiskey Cheddar Cheeses at stores in 22 states. Customers who have purchased these products are being told to dispose of them if possible. More details here.
- Vevan is ramping up its plant-based cheese game with the release of the brand-new Marinated Mozza-Bites, in herbed and Antipasti varieties to add to your next cheese spread as a flavorful dairy-free option.
- Another reason (read: excuse) to indulge in all of our favorites: A recent study from the University of Naples Federico II in Italy found a link between moderate wine, cheese, and coffee consumption and healthier hearts. Say no more—pass us a wedge and glass.
- The 33rd annual World Cheese Awards will take place November 3rd in Oviedo Spain as part of the Asturias Paraíso Natural International Cheese Festival 2021. It will officially open for entry in a few weeks, on August 23rd, inviting global cheesemakers to send in their products to be reviewed by a panel of 230 judges. Get more info here.
- Time is running out to be entered for a chance to win a Big Green Egg and other great prizes from our Rougette Bonfire Giveaway! Share your email and shipping address, and be sure to tune in on August 10 when we announce the Grand Prize Winner. Learn more and enter here.