Shankleesh Salad with Parsley and Pomegranate
Fresh, peppery purslane is a wonderful addition to this salad, but if you have trouble finding it, try substituting additional parsley, watercress, or spinach.
- 1 Lebanese short cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- ¼ small red onion finely sliced
- 2 handfuls bitter greens roughly torn (try dandelion leaves, arugula, radicchio, watercress, or endive)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup purslane leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves roughly torn
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- Extra-virgin olive oil to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1 ball homemade shankleesh broken into small pieces
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, greens, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pomegranate seeds and dress with olive oil and lemon juice. Crumble the shankleesh over the top. Serve with warm bread or cheese straws.