The uses for this ubiquitous condiment are many—but spreading it on chewy bread for a pizza-inspired grilled cheese is one of our favorites.
Makes about 1 cup
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts skins removed
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 packed cups basil leaves roughly chopped or torn
- Scant ½ cup parsley leaves optional
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Pulse walnuts and garlic in a food processor until roughly chopped. Add basil and parsley (if using), and pulse again until a coarse paste forms. Add olive oil in a slow stream, pulsing as you go, until combined.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in cheese and lemon zest. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.