Join the Curd Herd!
culture is a young and growing magazine based in Boston, MA. We’re always looking for talented, organized, and creative folks to join our family. Below are our current opportunities:
- Editor-in-Chief (Boston)
- Social Media Marketer & Assistant Web Editor
- Interns (Boston)
- Freelance Writers (Anywhere)
Based in Boston, Full-time, Salaried
We’re looking for a creative, highly organized editor with print publishing experience and strong managerial skills to be in charge of shaping and growing the voice of culture, starting with personnel management and editorial direction. The editor will be responsible for assigning and editing all content for our print and issues as well as managing development for any other future mediums. We want a hands-on manager who will inspire staff, designers, and contributors in all aspects of content production.
- In charge of content strategy for the brand across all mediums
- Manage a small editorial staff
- Lead weekly content meetings with staff and designers
- Organize annual brainstorming sessions with staff and industry
- Create and maintain relationships with industry leaders and advisory board
- Create and manage editorial and art budgets
- Manage editorial assignments, guidelines, contracts, and invoices
- Plan annual editorial content for quarterly magazines, two annuals, and any special issues
- Edit for content, style, and accuracy in magazine sections assigned to staff and contributors
- Write original content as needed for print magazine
- Manage content process from draft through final with staff and external experts, copy editors, designers, and proof readers
- Collaborate with and guide designers in art direction, propping, and styling through to final layout and attend photo shoots as needed
- Oversee final proofing and approval of all pages before printing
- Contribute blogs for culturecheesemag.com
- Work closely with Web Director and Social Media Manager to plan digital extensions of print features (i.e. recipes, mini-profiles, interview, etc.)
- Travel to festivals, trade shows, and cheesemakers may be required
- Minimum of 5 years experiencing in print publishing
- Experience managing staff
- Ability to create and manage budgets
- Previous work with freelance writers and designers
- Ability to use Adobe products
- Prior knowledge of / experience with food editorial required
- Prior knowledge of / experience with artisan cheese is preferable, but not required
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com. This position is open until filled.
Social Media Marketer & Assistant Web Editor
Based in Boston, Full-time, Salaried
We are currently accepting applications for a high-energy, outgoing, detail-oriented digital rockstar to manage culture‘s social media channels and web content. This position reports to culture‘s Web Director and is responsible for one of the most public faces of our brand, and our most direct way to interact with fans and critics.
- Manage content and tone for all social media channels
- Edit all social media posts written by other employees or interns
- Monitor and respond to all comments and questions on social media with the assistance of other employees or interns
- Assist Web Director with implementation of social media contests and promotions
- Promote culture-related events
- Assist Web Director with creating and meeting social media stats and marketing goals
- Edit all blogger and intern created web content before publishing
- Transfer content from print magazine to website
- Work with Editor-in-Chief and Web Director to create and implement consistent style guide for web and social media
- Collaborate with Web Director to increase brand awareness and web traffic through the promotion of web content
- In charge of monthly consumer e-newsletter
- Assist in management of culture interns
- Professional experience with Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, etc
- Professional experience writing for blogs or publications
- Responsibility, energy, and creative problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Outgoing, can-do attitude and the willingness to take on a challenge
- Interest in cheese, food, and cooking a plus
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter with relevant social media links, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.
Editorial / Web / Social Media Interns
Based in Boston, Part-time, Unpaid
We are currently accepting applications for our spring internship cycle. Why intern for culture? culture is America’s first and best magazine dedicated to cheese. Interns get valuable insight into the modern publishing industry while also enjoying pounds upon pounds of the best cheeses on earth. Come and work alongside our small and talented staff on articles for the magazine, cheese events, photo shoots, social media marketing, and more.
In addition, to your general duties, our internships also include an educational component with guest speakers on a number of topics relevant to writing, editing, social media, and web management. We also have a networking group for current and past interns to assist with post-internship job searching. All internships are based in Boston, 16-24 hours per week, and offer flexible scheduling.
Writing & Editing: Interns are asked to write short pieces for the website daily. In addition, you may be asked to write for the newsletter or magazine. Pieces also need to be proofed and edited to make sure they match our style guide. In addition, all pieces for the culture blog and magazine are fact checked within an inch of their lives and you will likely help with this.
Social Media Management: Each intern is ask to manage a specific social media platform. This includes scheduling posts, responding to comments and questions, and recording analytics. Our social media channels include Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube.
Blogging: Most interns are asked to complete a blog series. Here are some examples of past interns’ series:
- Distant Cheeses, Local Farmers by Molly McDonough
- Real Cheese Product by Grant Bradley
- Cheese Personality by Natalie Gardino
- Writing chops: Our interns write each and every day.
- Attention to detail: No comma escapes your notice.
- Love of cheese: Seriously, we eat a lot of cheese.
- Great attitude: We work in controlled chaos… and it’s fun!
- Experience with blogging or social media.
- Photography skills a plus, but not required.
Fall internships last from September through December. Interns must be available to work in our office, no telecommuting (sorry! it’s for your own good, you’ll learn more this way). Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter (including links to social media), and one writing sample to email@example.com by 12/12/2014.
Long-distance / virtual; Contract
We are always looking for great freelance writers for our magazine and website. If you love cheese and love to write, we love you! Read this article on how to send us a pitch, and direct your query letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.