Strawberry & French Goat Cheese Grilled Sandwich with Basil
This summery twist on a classic sandwich comes to us from Goat Cheese of France.
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 thin slices of sourdough baguette
- 4 large strawberries, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 large basil leaves, slivered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces French brique de chèvre
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread, then flip the bread buttered side down on a baking sheet and repeat with the other 6 slices.
- Place the strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle with the basil leaves and add the olive and balsamic vinegar. Mix gently then add lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Slice the brique de chèvre and spread on unbuttered sides of the bread. Spoon a generous amount of the strawberry mixture on 4 pieces of the chèvre topped bread.
- Place the strawberry stacked bread, buttered side down, in a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat and top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Cover with lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until nicely golden. Reduce heat to medium and flip sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch carefully. Repeat process with the other sandwich ingredients to make the rest of the grilled goat cheese sandwiches.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/