Vincent Price's Cheesecake
Although Vincent Price was most well known for his frightening horror movie roles in the 1950s, he and his wife were also serious cooks and gourmets, writing cookbooks on the side. This recipe is one of their joint creations.
Write a review
- Butter for greasing
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups scalded light cream
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- Grease an 8 inch springform pan thickly with butter. Turn the form on its side, put in a few graham crumbs and shake so they stick to the sides. When sides are well-coated, shake a light coating onto the bottom. Put springform in the freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, put soft cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, flour, vanilla and salt. Beat thoroughly until mixture is smooth. Turn speed to lowest and gradually pour in the scalded light cream.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to cream cheese mixture and fold in lightly but thoroughly. Pour mixture into the prepared pan, set pan in a shallow pan containing 1 inch of hot water.
- Bake in a preheated 300°F oven for 1½ hours. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
- You may, if you wish, cover the top of the cake with a layer of fresh strawberries when it is served. Wash and hull them, dry thoroughly, stand with pointed ends up as close together as possible. With a pastry brush, paint with red currant glaze.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/
Photo Credit: Pirata Larios via Compfight cc