Gorgonzola Dolce Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Chives
The cheese is an accent, not a wall-to-wall carpet. A few crumbles of Gorgonzola dolce on a bed of caramelized sweet spring onions make a stronger statement than a blanket of milder cheese.
Write a review
- Basic Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large Vidalia onions, peeled, quartered, and very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola dolce
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- THE TOPPING: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions start to wilt, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions are very soft and browned (this will take at least 30 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil a sheet pan and sprinkle lightly with semolina. Oil your hands. Press the dough out on the pan with your fingertips, shaping it into a smooth, thin round. Strew the caramelized onions evenly over the top, leaving a 1 inch edge. Season with black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Crumble the Gorgonzola over the top of the pizza and sprinkle with the chives. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the crust is crisp and browned and the cheese is melted.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/