Halloumi, Pesto, and Veggie Kebabs
Don't worry about melting cheese dripping through grill racks—firm halloumi is designed to brown on the outside while its center turns soft.
- 8 10-inch wooden skewers
- ¼ cup prepared basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow squash, halved and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound whole cremini mushrooms, stems removed and halved if large
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Soak skewers in water for at least 15 minutes to help prevent burning on the grill.
- Whisk together pesto, olive oil, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add halloumi, yellow squash, green pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes; toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat grill. Thread cheese and vegetables evenly onto skewers. Grill, turning occasionally, until vegetables and cheese are softened and slightly charred, 10 to 12 minutes.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/