Viking Veggie Burgers with Smoked Gouda
This meatless burger is a staple on the menu at Club Helsinki—a restaurant/music venue in New York’s Hudson Valley. Even devout carnivores swoon over this veggie version, created more than 15 years ago by co-owner Deborah McDowell.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 6 ounces portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green) cored and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 thick slices smoked Gouda
- 8 burger rolls
- Lettuce, tomato, pickle, or other desired garnishes
- THE BURGERS: Combine lentils with 4 cups water in saucepan and boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. line a baking sheet with foil. Toss portobello mushroom caps with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the thyme, ¼ teaspon each salt and pepper. Roast mushrooms until tender, about 15 minutes. cool 5 minutes, then dice.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. add chopped onion, peppers, celery, carrot, and garlic; sauté until vegetables are soft. Set aside. Drain lentils and mash them in large bowl. Add diced mushrooms, sautéed vegetables, tamari, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. Mix well. add breadcrumbs, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper and mix lightly. Shape mixture into 8 burgers and flatten each to ¼-inch thickness; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- THE TOPPINGS: Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. add sliced onions and cook 5 minutes. add mushrooms, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- To cook burgers, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in skillet over medium heat. add 4 burgers and cook 5 minutes. Flip burgers 5 minutes more. Top each burger with gouda and cook until cheese melts. Repeat with remaining burgers. Assemble burger, cooked mushrooms, onions, and desired toppings between each roll.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/