Young Asiago and Broccoli Soup with Black Pepper Croutons
Our broccoli-cheese soup is made brighter and a bit more elegant than the classic version from childhood with peppery homemade croutons, crumbles of Asiago, and a dash of fresh lemon.
Write a review
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups diced country bread
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks broccoli, stems and florets
- chopped separately
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups cubed Asiago
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Warm 2 tablespoons butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the diced bread and cook, tossing, until toasted and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Warm the remaining butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the potato, broccoli stems, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add the broccoli
- florets, and simmer until the broccoli is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Asiago. Season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pot from the heat. Puree the soup in a blender, adding more stock or water if necessary to yield a smooth consistency. Spoon each serving into a bowl, and float the croutons on top.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/