Hungarian Spiced Cheese Spread (Körözött or Liptauer)
Hungarians serve this spiced cheese spread with chunks of bread as part of an appetizer spread.
- 8 ounces túró
- ½ small onion, minced
- 2 ounces butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 heaping teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon prepared mustard
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: a splash of Hungarian plum brandy or beer, chopped capers, chopped parsley, or chopped anchovies
- Combine all ingredients and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow flavors to meld.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/