Pickled Vegetables and Feta Salad with Herb Dressing
Here’s the perfect do-ahead salad, full of vibrant color and flavor. You can adjust the piquancy of the pickled vegetables to your liking; the longer they’re immersed in the sweet-tart vinegar mixture, the softer and more seasoned they’ll be.
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 baby cucumbers, sliced
- 7 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 8 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- THE PICKLED VEGETABLES: In a 4-quart saucepan, heat water, white wine vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until sugar is completely dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in onion and carrot. Let marinate 20 minutes. Add the cucumbers and radishes, and set aside until the vegetables are softened, about 25 minutes more or longer if you prefer. Drain the vegetables, and pat dry on paper towels.
- THE HERB DRESSING: In a blender, puree dill, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, and pepper until very smooth, about 45 seconds. Transfer dressing to a small bowl and add yogurt; stir in until combined.
- THE SALAD: In a large serving bowl, gently toss together pickled vegetables and salad greens. Crumble feta onto salad, and top with pine nuts. Serve with the Herb Dressing.
culture: the word on cheese http://culturecheesemag.com/