This dairy-rich dip is a signature of Chef Barry Maiden’s—it was a fixture at his former restaurant, Hungry Mother, and he promises whatever his next project is, pimento cheese will be on the menu.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ pound shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1½ teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place bell pepper on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until skin is blistered and pepper has collapsed. When cool enough to handle, remove skins and seeds from pepper and roughly chop the flesh.
- Mix pepper, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire, and cayenne in a large bowl until combined. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is a coarse paste. Transfer back to the bowl and fold in mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with grilled bread, plain crackers, and celery sticks.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
Photographed by Brian Samuels