Yesterday was International Raw Milk Appreciation Day, a day when folks around the world are encouraged to purchase, share, and learn about raw milk cheeses from shops and creameries everywhere. In case you missed this holiday (or just want to extend the celebration), check out our guide on how to celebrate like a true turophile here.
In other cheese news:
- Tillamook Creamery is collaborating with actress Eva Longoria to invest in American dairy farmers. On Oct. 12—National Farmer’s Day— Tillamook announced its 1.6 million dollar donation to American Farmland Trust as part of its All For Farmers initiative. With this generous donation, the AFT will award grants directly to struggling farmers to help them increase access to farmland, enhance farm viability, and adopt new farming practices.
- This year, the California Dairy Sustainability Summit is going virtual. On Nov. 5 and 6, California dairy families will spotlight opportunities for industry workers to develop sustainable practices for a greener future. Read more about the event and register here.
- Joe Berkowitz, author of the new book American Cheese: An Indulgent Odyssey Through the Artisan Cheese World, shared some insider knowledge about how his year-long journey of eating some of the world’s best cheeses affected his body, health, and outlook on life in a recent Men’s Health article.
- Halloween may be spent at home this year, but that doesn’t mean it has to be boring! Marissa Mullen of That Cheese Plate’s upcoming virtual event—That Char-Boo-Terie Plate—will guide attendees through building a spooky cheese plate and photographing it like a pro. Costumes encouraged.
- The holiday season is right around the corner, and Caputo Brothers Creamery’s new Mad Elf Beer Cheese is getting us (even more) excited. They collaborated with Tröegs Independent Brewing to release this limited-edition wedge, which is marinated in the Belgian-style ale and rubbed in cocoa, cinnamon, and espresso to rekindle all those festive feelings. Get your holiday fill and help sustain Pennsylvania dairy farmers—a win-win!