Beecher's "World's Best" Mac 'n' Cheese
On the menu since Beecher’s opened, this ultracreamy mac ‘n’ cheese dish has been lauded by fans across the country. The umami flavor of the cheeses adds depth and complexity, while the gooey texture satisfies your craving for comfort food. Dig in on a cold winter’s night, serve as a holiday dinner side, or enjoy with braised meats and roasted veggies.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for preparing dish
- 6 ounces penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) grated Beecher’s Flagship cheese, divided
- 2 ounces (about ½ cup) grated Beecher’s Just Jack cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt ¼ teaspoon chili powder, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter or oil an 8-inch baking dish.
- Cook the penne 2 minutes less than package directions (it will finish cooking in the oven). Rinse pasta in cold water, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy- bottomed saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking and cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1¾ cups Flagship cheese, ¼ cup Just Jack cheese, salt, 1/8 teaspoon chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes.
- Combine cooked pasta and sauce in a medium bowl, and mix carefully but thoroughly. Scrape pasta into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheeses and then the remaining chili powder.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Let mac ‘n’ cheese sit for 5 minutes before serving.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/