This recipe will yield a bunch of nuts, so gift the rest to your guests or stash away for yourself. They won’t last long.
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt plus more for sprinkling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside. Spread walnuts on a separate rimmed baking sheet, and toast in oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a small mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until syrup dissolves and turns a deep amber color, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Quickly add spice mix and the walnuts to the saucepan, and stir to combine. Spread nuts onto lined baking sheet, and return to oven. Bake for another 7 to 10 minutes. About halfway through baking, open oven, use a fork to break any nut clusters apart, and sprinkle nuts with additional salt, if you like.
- Remove from oven. While nuts are still hot, break up any remaining clusters with a fork. Cool completely. Stored in an airtight container, nuts will keep at room temperature for about a week.