Want to make this holiday season your cheesiest yet? In this multi-part series, chef Erin Harris (a.k.a. The Cheese Poet) shares creative and impressive cheese pairings—and the recipes you’ll need to make them. Come back every other Wednesday throughout the holidays to cook with The Cheese Poet.
Italian Burrata with Boozy Amarena Cherries
- 1 ball Italian Burrata Cheese
- 1 16 oz. jar Amarena Cherries in syrup drained, ½ cup of syrup reserved
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Amaretto liquor
- Almond or Chocolate Biscotti Cantucci, or Italian Butter cookies for serving
- Remove the Burrata from its container and dry it on paper towel. Then, gently transfer it to a medium serving platter, making sure not to break it open until ready to serve. In a saute pan over medium heat, combine the cherries and the cherry syrup with the sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is reduced by half ( 3-5 minutes). Add the butter and stir until melted and completely incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the Amaretto and return the pan to medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil . The Amaretto may ignite but will burn off after a minute or two. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Spoon the warm cherries and their juices over the Burrata and serve with your favorite Italian cookies.