May is already coming to an end, which means summer is so close we can practically taste it. If you’re still iffy on Memorial Day grilling plans for tomorrow, head to our roundup of cheesy recipes that go beyond burgers and dogs for some last-minute inspiration.
In other cheese news:
- The second annual Virtual Cheese Awards—to support and promote British cheesemakers—took place on May 7th. This year, a variety of cheeses were recognized for their excellence, including a Spanish-inspired fresh cheese, La Fresca Margarita, which took home the crown as Britain’s Best Cheese. See all the winners here.
- There’s a new flavor joining Laura Chenel’s pillow party—Everything Bagel-flavored Chabis! This creamy blend of fresh chèvre, sesame seeds, garlic, poppy seeds, and onion is now available in stores and online. Check out Laura Chenel’s store locator to see where you can pick up one (or three) of this new cheese.
- Calling all food and drink producers: The Good Food Awards is launching its annual call for entries to American producers crafting tasty, authentic, and responsible food and drink. Entry period runs from June 1-30, with a $78 fee to cover storing, sorting and transporting entries for a socially distanced August Blind Tasting in San Francisco. Makers can receive a free second entry by using the code EARLYBIRD through Thursday, June 3, and BIPOC-identifying makers can email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive one complimentary entry. Learn more and enter here.
- In a report that surprised absolutely none of us at culture, grocery store cheese sales skyrocketed during the pandemic. Spending more time at home meant cheese sales grew by over 18 percent, totaling over $3 billion. We don’t know about you, but the end of the pandemic will not stop us from whipping up cheesy recipes and cheese and charcuterie boards from home.
- In the market for new cheese gear? Cheese influencer Madame Fromage just shared some of her favorites in a HuffPost article—covering everything from knives to storage to cheese-centric art. We’ll take 10 of each, please.
- Support local cheesemakers and breweries at The Maine Cheese Guild’s upcoming virtual beer and cheese pairing event, where the guild is partnering with Allagash Brewing Company to bring you all the best of Maine. Make sure to order before Tuesday, June 1st at 5pm EDT to ensure your goodies arrive on time. Get more info and register here.
- We know cheese can elevate recipes, please our taste buds, and even offer health benefits…but what about its ability to fight crime? In the UK, police were able to arrest a drug dealer because of a photo of Stilton he posted on social media. Police said they used his visible fingerprints to track him down—the creamy blue in the shot was just a plus.