If you hoped to try the best cheese in the world this holiday season, you’re out of luck. Fanaost, the champion of the 2018 World Cheese Awards, comes from a small Norwegian farm with only twelve cows. But don’t fret. Here’s a list of some other delicious cheeses to try while you wait to ring in the New Year—and for our 2018 Best Cheeses issue. Since we’re talking about cheese, how about we move on to the news?
Here’s what you might have missed this week:
- This past Thursday, Kraft delivered free grilled cheeses to families in Times Square to stave off hungry temper tantrums. No, really.
- According to a new study, 2.2 million kgs of cheese will be thrown away in the U.K. this Christmas season (that’s almost 5 million pounds in American).
- This iced tea topped with a mixture of cream cheese, whipping cream, and salt is gaining popularity worldwide. Read here for more on this Taiwanese sensation.
- For the vegans in the group, or for those that just need a break from dairy overload, give this Jalapeno “cheese” dip a try.
- Close to 1.4 billion pounds of cheese are stockpiled in American warehouses, setting the highest record in a century.
- Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes recently starred in a Hunt’s ad slathering their ketchup on mac and cheese. And it’s pretty gross.
- Raw milk cheese fans, rejoice! A recent Scottish report offers alternatives to manage microbiological hazards in milk besides pasteurization.
- Here’s a handy how-to guide to building a cheese board with any budget.