Crab Burgers with Dill Chèvre & Arugula
Grilling and a topping of herbed chèvre elevates these from simple crab cakes to brilliant burgers.
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably Panko
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 potato bread buns
- ½ cup arugula leaves
- 2 ounces (about ¼ cup) dill chèvre (such as Cypress Grove Chevre PsycheDillic), at room temperature
- Pick out and discard any shells in crab meat. Grate 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together mayonnaise, egg, mustard, celery seed, onion powder, lemon juice, lemon zest, and hot sauce. Gently stir in crab meat, scallions, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs. Form into 6 firm patties; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush burgers with butter and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side. Meanwhile, lightly toast buns. Arrange arugula on bottom half of buns; top each with crab burger, 2 tablespoons chèvre, and remaining bun.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/