Deep-dish Pizza Puttanesca with Aged Tuscan Pecorino
Shaved Pecorino Toscano takes this pizza twist on a pasta classic to the next level.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 whole anchovy fillets
- 2 cups canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- ½ cup pitted, roughly chopped, oil-cured black olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 4 ounces aged Pecorino Toscano, shaved
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the anchovies with a wooden spoon, mixing to break them up. Add the tomato and hot red pepper flakes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the olives and capers.
- Oil a heavy 13- by 9-inch rimmed baking pan and sprinkle lightly with semolina. Stretch the dough to fit the pan. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the tomato mixture over the dough and pave the top with the shaved Pecorino. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges are well browned and the center is cooked through. Serve warm or hot.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/