Braised Escarole Flatbread with Crème Fraîche, Honey, and Eggs
Hearty greens, tangy cheese, sweet honey, and silky eggs combine to make a decadent topping for chewy naan bread.
- 2 heads escarole leaves separated and washed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 4 naan flatbreads
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- Honey for drizzling
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Chop escarole into 2-inch pieces. Place a wide, shallow pan over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add escarole, and season with salt and pepper. Once escarole begins to wilt, cover pan and cook 8 minutes or until escarole is just tender. Discard garlic.
- Divide crème fraîche evenly atop the 4 flatbreads and spread to coat. Top crème fraîche-slathered flatbreads with escarole and feta. Bake 10 minutes or until feta softens.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter until just bubbling. Crack eggs into skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Fry to desired doneness.
- Top each baked flatbread with one egg and finish with a thin drizzle of honey. Serve immediately.
Blood Orange Escarole Salad with Feta
- 1½ blood oranges
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head escarole tough outer leaves discarded
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- Peel and segment 1 orange and set pieces aside. Zest and juice ½ of the other orange and add to a small bowl with the oil and vinegar. Whisk to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- Wash and dry escarole leaves and tear into bite-size pieces. Season with salt and toss with 2 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Divide escarole between two plates and top with feta, walnuts, and orange segments. Serve.