Guinness & Steak Mac & Cheese
An American classic meets British steak-and-Guinness pie in this hearty dish.
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1 pound top round steak cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 11 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup Guinness
- 4½ cups whole milk room temperature
- 5½ cups shredded Cotswold cheese
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Stilton cheese crumbled
- 3 cups cubed baguette approximately ½-inch squares
- Cook pasta in well-salted boiling water in a large stockpot according to package instructions, until just shy of al dente. Drain, cover, and set aside.
- Season steak cubes with salt and pepper, and toss with 1 tablespoon flour. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a deep skillet over mediumhigh heat, and fry meat until browned. Deglaze pan with Guinness and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. While steak simmers, prepare cheese sauce. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbling. Whisk in remaining ½ cup flour. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until roux is pale blonde.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly. Run a rubber spatula around saucepan edges to remove any flour clumps. Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook 10 minutes or until thickened. Add 4½ cups Cotswold cheese, kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Strain liquid from steak into sauce and simmer gently 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine steak, pasta, and sauce. Pour into lightly greased 3-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining Cotswold and Stilton.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Toss with bread cubes, then scatter over steak and pasta mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.