Inside Out Grilled Cheese
This unique take on an old classic puts a crisp layer of cheese on the outside of the sandwich, pleasantly contrasting with the familiar gooey center.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices good melting cheese (such as American or cheddar)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1½ ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
- ►Heat a buttered pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Place both slices of bread on griddle.
- ►On one slice, layer a slice of American followed by a slice of Swiss cheese. On the other slice, layer Swiss and then American. Allow bread to toast until lightly browned. Remove from the griddle and press the slices together.
- ►Add more butter (as needed) to the griddle and lay half the Parmigiano Reggiano in the size and shape of a bread slice. Place sandwich on top of the melting Parmigiano and allow cheese to crisp and stick to the sandwich. Repeat on the other side.
- ►Remove sandwich from heat and rest for 3 minutes before cutting in half.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/