Mushroom, Chicken and Kale Lasagna
A creamy béchamel sauce, along with the addition of brie, adds richness and flavor to layers of chicken, mushrooms and kale.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles (try Barilla Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles)
- 3 ounces brie cheese, rind removed and paste diced into ¼-inch cube
- ►Bring broth to boil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add chicken breasts, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is opaque. Remove chicken from pan, cool, and shred. Reserve broth.
- ►Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme, chipotle pepper, lemon zest, and mushrooms. Sauté for 6 to 8 minutes. Add kale and cook until just wilted. Remove pan from heat and add shredded chicken.
- ►Heat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture browns. Slowly whisk in half-and-half. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon salt, stir in Parmigiano Reggiano and add the broth ¼ cup at a time until you’ve
- reached desired consistency.
- ►Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with remaining olive oil. Pour ½ cup béchamel sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange 4 noodles, overlapping slightly, lengthwise over the sauce. Top noodles with another ½ cup sauce, making sure noodles are completely covered. Cover with 1 cup chicken mixture and a light sprinkle of brie. Repeat layers, switching the direction of the noodles from lengthwise to widthwise with each layer. Top the final layer of the chicken mixture with remaining sauce and brie. Cover dish tightly with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 additional minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/